This aircraft was built under sub-contract by the Gloster Aircraft Company and was delivered to the Royal Air Force in February 1944. In March 1944 it was selected for shipment to the United States for flight evaluation trials. It arrived in New York in April and during the following two months was flight tested by the USAAF. In July 1944 it was transferred to store at the Smithsonian Institution's National Air Museum.
This is the only surviving Typhoon. In recognition of the 50th Anniversary of the Royal Air Force the Smithsonian Institution presented it to the RAF in July 1967 for display in the Museum in exchange for a Hurricane. It was refurbished at RAF Shawbury in 1968 where it remained until 1972 when it was moved to Hendon.